PATH TO MEMBERSHIP
Ralston Creek Cohousing is structured financially and legally as a homeowners association (HOA). But, as cohousers, we are so much more! We run our own association, in charge of every aspect of our life. Each of us commit to participate in one or two teams that manage some aspects of our community—from financial and legal issues to gardens and grounds. We will administer our own common house, make our own decisions about systems and buildings, and decide together how to enhance our community. We will participate in common meals and other social events.
Self-management empowers residents, builds community, and saves money. If this sounds like it’s for you, come along! By joining us early in the process you will have a voice in how we make agreements to work together, As well as the design for our common spaces.
The earlier you join, the more say you have, and the higher up you are on the list for choosing units in the Gatehouse. So, why wait?
Levels of Membership
- Social invitations extended for several events and interaction with members with invitation to become an Explorer Member.
- An Explorer Member invests $250 as a non-refundable deposit entitling them to three months of participation in business meetings, social events and on e on one meetings with members. This is to provide an opportunity for us to get to know each other. Explorers have no decision making ability but are encouraged and expected to participate.When an Explorer member is interested in moving forward with us, they will be asked to fill out an application. When the community reaches consensus to invite the Explorer to become a Full member, their $250 will be applied to Full membership.
- Full Members
- Full Members invest $1000 (non-refundable and currently being used for marketing/website/professional fees), receive their place in line for selecting a unit and begin full participation with the ability to have input into all aspects of community building, Gatehouse (the name of our cohousing building) decisions and the gradual development of bylaws and rules. The order of choosing the location of units in the Gatehouse is determined by the date you become a Full Member.
- When 10 Full Members are committed, every Full Member will invest an additional $4,000 for the architectural design of the Gatehouse and city fees. The $4,000 investment applies to the down payment towards their unit when they select one based on the design and cost.
- At the appropriate time, the Construction Loan Phase requires loan qualification and a 25% down payment.
This Path to Membership document is subject to change without notice.