FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is our Timeline?
- We need 10 families to buy architectural drawings and qualify for a construction loan. We are getting close.
- Once we have those drawings and a loan, we expect to move in about 18 months later.
- At that point, we can start advertising in real estate media for the rest of the units. We know they will go fast!
Absolutely!: Our current members love animals, and most of us have pets. But, we haven’t written our bylaws yet, so we haven’t figured out exactly where the other species will be hanging out in the physical spaces.
How can I join?
We have several paths to membership. Start where you feel comfortable. Learn More…
What’s special about a cohousing common house?
- That’s where we get together. We will have groups meals there together, probably several times a week. Some cohousers set those up as group cooking events (in our commercial sized kitchen!) and some do potlucks. We have not decided about that yet.
- We hold other community activities there, too, parties, meetings, and the like. But, unlike community centers where people who don’t know each other just schedule use of the facility, we will be planning events together and carrying them out in our own community center.
- We will administer our own housing association, not hire a company to run it from outside. And doing it together is part of how we’ll get to know one another.
- We’re designing it now! Come help us decide what facilities we want to have.
Where Can I Find Out More About CoHousing?
- The Senior Cohousing Handbook: A Community Approach to Independent Living. A new edition now available for sale at https://www.newsociety.com/Books/S/The-Senior-Cohousing-Handbook-2nd-Edition.
- Creating Cohousing: Building Sustainable Communities.Available for sale at https://www.newsociety.com/Books/C/Creating-Cohousing.
- Reinventing Community: Stories from the Walkways of CoHousing. Edited by David Wann. Published by Fulcrum
And, there’s lots of information at the CoHousing Association of the United States website, cohousing.org.